The Piramal Group marked its entry in the field of inhalation anaesthetics in 2002 with the acquisition of ICI India Ltd. Since then, gradually and steadily, Piramal Critical Care has established its name as a global anaesthetic company. It has fast progressed and built its wide portfolio with key acquisitions and mergers that have opened Piramal Critical Care’s access to niche products and modern technologies.
In the early 1980s a young Ajay Piramal takes over the reins of the Piramal Group.
Acquired Gujarat Glass.
Acquisition of Nicholas Laboratories.
Gujarat Glass is merged with group company, Nicholas Piramal India Ltd.
- A new formulation plant at Pithampur in Madhya Pradesh is commissioned.
- Glass division activity diversified into the non-pharmaceutical field. New TPD borosilicate plant was implemented at Pithampur.
- Set up a second formulation plant at Pithampur in Madhya Pradesh with the state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities.
- Nicholas Laboratories, Ltd. renamed to Nicholas Piramal India, Ltd.
Piramal entered into a joint venture agreement with Allergan of U.S.A., the leading manufacturers of Ophthalmic products.
A joint venture agreement was entered into with Sateliec, France for dental care products.
The bulk drug division of Sumitra Pharmaceutical and Chemicals Ltd. Hyderabad transferred to NPIL.
- Entered into a product tie-up with F. Hoffman-La-Roche.
- Boehringer Mannheim is acquired.
- The Glass Division successfully commissioned 5 MW captive power plant at Kosamba, Gujarat.
NPIL entered into an agreement with Reckitt & Colman for joint marketing of the latter’s OTC products in India.
- Acquired the research unit of Hoechst Marion Roussel (India) in Mumbai, India.
- Nicholas Piramal India Ltd (NPIL) forges joint venture with Boots Healthcare International (BHI) to develop and market consumer healthcare products in India.
Piramal Glass acquires Ceylon Company Ltd, Sri Lanka.
- Started collaborative research with Centre for Biochemical Technology in the field of gene technology.
- Research alliance established with Hindustan Lever for developing Cosmoceuticals and personal care products.
- Rhone Poulenc India Limited is acquired.
ICI Pharma is acquired.
- Global Bulk Drugs is acquired.
- Sarabhai Piramal is acquired.
Nicholas forges alliance with scientists from Imperial College of the UK to carry out research in the field of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Piramal Glass acquires a part of The Glass Group (erstwhile Wheaton Glass) in USA.
- Avecia Pharmaceutical is acquired.
- Acquired the global inhalation Anaesthetics (IA) business of UK-based RhodiaOrganique Fine Ltd.
- Forbes 2005 List of ‘Best Small Asian Companies’ ranks Piramal Healthcare as a high value achiever.
- Piramal Healthcare listed as global leader by S&P Global Challengers.
- Pfizer’s Morpeth UK facility acquired.
Scientists from Piramal led the first exploration by an Indian pharmaceutical company to develop drug leads from geographies like Antarctica.
- Nicholas Piramal India Limited renamed to Piramal Healthcare Limited.
- Khandelwal Laboratories acquired.
- HLPL-Banglore is acquired.
- Minard International inc is acquired.
- RxEliteinc, the U.S. based inhalation anesthetic gas distribution business, is acquired.
- The generics / domestic formulations business is sold to Abbott Laboratories.
- Acquisition of iPill, an oral contraceptive brand, from Cipla.
- Piramal sells the diagnostics division to Super Religare Laboratories Ltd.
- Biosyntech, Inc., Canada is acquired by Piramal Enterprises. This is part of the Life Sciences vertical, Bio-orthopaedics division.
- Piramal’sPharma Solutions manufacturing site at Grangemouth, Scotland became the world’s first contract supplier at commercial scale for ADCs.
- Piramal Realty, the privately owned real estate entity, was formed.
- Fortune 500 ranks Piramal Healthcare in the top-50 largest corporations across India.
- Piramal Healthcare acquires Indiareit a real estate focused investment trust with AUM of USD 760 mn.
- UN Conference on Trade and Development’s World Investment Report 2011 ranked Piramal Healthcare as No. 5 in the top 10 pharmaceutical contract manufacturers worldwide.
- Piramal Healthcare acquires 11% of Vodafone India.
- Piramal Realty acquires Mafatlal Mills in Byculla, Mumbai.
- Oxygen Bio-research is acquired by Piramal Enterprises and is part of the Pharmaceutical Solutions division.
- Bharat Serum and Vaccines Ltd – Anaesthetics business buyout by Piramal Enterprises.
- Piramal Healthcare Limited renamed to Piramal Enterprises Limited.
- Piramal Enterprises Limited acquires molecular imaging development portfolio of Bayer Pharma.
- Piramal Enterprises acquires healthcare information management firm, Decision Resources Group, USA for USD 635 million.
- Piramal Enterprises started a non-banking financial company focused on lending to real estate, education and hospitals.
- BST-CarGel, our innovative bio-orthopaedic product for cartilage repair, receives European CE mark approval.
- Decision Resources Group acquires Abacus International, a UK based global market access solutions company for many of the world’s leading healthcare companies.
- Piramal Realty won the auction of the landmark Hindustan Unilever training center at Worli sea-face, Mumbai.
- Piramal Enterprises consumer products’ division acquires the brand CALADRYL® in India
- Piramal Water (Sarvajal) honoured with ‘Enabling Technology Award of the Year 2013’ by Frost & Sullivan
- Imaging division’s lead radiopharmaceutical, florbetaben, accepted for review by the US FDA and EMA for the visual detection of beta-amyloid in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Decision Resources Group acquired Relay Technology Management. The acquisition adds new products and significant technological capabilities.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) and Piramal Enterprises Limited announce a US$500m Strategic Alliance for Residential Development Debt Financing in India;
appoint Piramal Fund Management (at the time known as Indiareit) as advisor.
- Piramal Enterprises Limited agrees to acquire an effective 20% equity stake in Shriram Capital Limited, a financial services company, for an aggregate consideration of INR 20.14 billion
- Piramal Enterprises Limited acquires 9.99% equity stake in Shriram City Union Finance Limited.
- APG Asset Management, the Dutch pension fund asset manager and Piramal Enterprises Limited announces a strategic alliance for investing in rupee denominated mezzanine instruments issued by infrastructure companies in India with a target investment of US$ 1 billion over the next 3 years
- Piramal Enterprises acquires Kentucky based Specialty Pharmaceutical CDMO, Coldstream Laboratories Inc.